In this guide, we will discuss two different methods by which you can get the URL of the OTA update on your Android device. By following our tips below, you can easily download the OTA update file for your Android phone or tablet.
Unlike iPhone, getting system update in Android device is a completely different phenomenon. While all iPhone users get the update at the same time, that’s not the case with Android. In this open source environment, users have to deal with a phased deployment process.
Some OEMs top the priority queue while others have to wait a little longer. Additionally, these updates are region-specific. While users in the US may be the first to get these updates, those in Asia often have to play the game patiently.
Steps to Get OTA File Download Link
By following the instructions mentioned below, you can easily capture the URL of the OTA update. You can then share it with your friends who have the same device but haven’t received this update yet.
As mentioned, we will discuss two methods of extracting URLs from OTA packages. The first one requires the use of a PC. The second one can only be done using your device (no PC required). Both methods are explained below. Choose the one you find more convenient.
- Make sure you have received the OTA Update on your device.
- Download and install Android SDK Platform-tools latest on your PC.
- Turn on USB debugging on your Android device. Go Setting > Developer Options and enable it from there. You can also refer to our detailed guide to enable USB debugging.
Method 1: Get OTA package download URL using PC
- Connect your device to your PC via a USB cable.
- Navigate to folder Android SDK Platform-tools and enter cmd in the address bar.
- When the Command Prompt window opens, enter the code below:
adb logcat > ota_link.txt
- After executing the above command, start processing the OTA download on your device.
- You can do so by navigating to Setting > System > Advanced > System update .
- Let the download go for 10-15 seconds and then pause or stop it.
- Return to the command prompt and press the Ctrl + C button.
- Next, go to the platform-tools folder and find the file ota_link.txt .
- Open the text file and search for words like ota, .zip or the name of your ROM (in case you’re using a custom ROM).
- That’s it. You can now copy this link for future use or share it with your friends.
Method 2: Get Mobile OTA Download Link
- Start downloading the Android system update on your device.
- Navigate to preferences Setting of your device and go to Developer options.
- Touch Get bug report and choose Interactive report.
- The bug report will now be compiled. You can see the progress on the Bulletin Board.
- After the report is compiled, tap it.
- You may receive a dialog box saying that this report should not be shared with anyone and apps you don’t trust. Touch OK.
- A list of apps will then pop up. Choose any file explorer installed on your device. Then save the error report.
- Finally, look for words like .zip, OTA or ROM name in the bug report. Copy the corresponding URL and share it as you like.
So here is a detailed guide on how to extract URLs from any OTA Update. After downloading the OTA update file, you should refer to our detailed guide describing how you can Install OTA Update on Android via ADB Sideload and Recovery