Back in 2011, Google opted for MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) is a file transfer protocol in Android devices that replaces the heavily used storage option. It was a good move from Google back then that MTP allowed your computer and phone to access storage at the same time without any interruption to device functions. MTP is quite easy to use and although it is a little different, it is easy for everyone to use. To transfer files using MTP, all you need to do is plug the device into your computer and transfer the data. However, for Mac computer users, there are a few ways to move around file transfer from Android to Mac.
Protocol Media Transfer Protocol widely used by everyone and easy to use right on windows computers. But the Mac is completely different and annoying because the Mac itself does not allow the use of the MTP protocol to transfer files. Google rolled out an official fix back in the day to allow moving files from Android to Mac via the app.”Android File Transfer“. AFT is a reliable app for Mac that allows file transfers from Android, but it hasn’t been updated by Google in a while to fix lingering bugs. Fortunately, we have 3rd party apps that make this easier and today xaiandroid blog introduces you to some of the popular methods used to transfer files from android to mac.
Android File Transfer
- Download and install the Android File Transfer app on your Mac. Installation instructions are on the download page itself and it’s as easy as one click.
- Plug your Android device to your Mac with a USB cable.. The Andoid File Transfer app will automatically launch on your Mac to transfer files.
- If you are using Android Marshmallow or higher, MTP mode is not activated by default when you plug in your device. So you need to select MTP mode on your Android device to transfer files.
With Handshaker, it is an application available on the Mac App Store. It has an improved interface that looks more like the normal tool window on Mac than the old AFT window. Although this does not change the functionality, it is a bit more pleasant for Mac users. In addition, you can now view thumbnails, organize photos and files on your Android device from your Mac via Handshaker. It also allows you to perform several file and folder management tasks from your Mac.
It is quite easy to Handshaker setup on your Macbook, just follow the steps below:
- First, to remove the AFT on your Mac if you have already installed. AFT will pop up every time you plug your device to Macbook.
- Enable feature USB Debugging on your Android device. To do so, open Setting application and then click About Phone. Touch Build Number 7 times in a row and you will get a visual message “You are now a developer.” Return Developer Options in the settings and enable USB Debugging option.
- On your Mac, click “I authorized this Mac to access my phone” after enabling USB Debuging on your Android device.
- Now connect your Android device to your Mac to transfer files through Handshaker. You will need to authorize Handshaker on your Android device. For that, check your device and you should see a popup on the screen for USB Debugging, check “Always Allow” and press OK.
- Now you can browse and move files from Android to Mac more easily.
Move files from Android to Mac wirelessly
If you are bored using USB cables to transfer files from your smartphone to laptop, there are many apps that will help you. To begin, Portal is a simple application available on Google Play Store will allow file transfer from Android to Mac by wireless signal. Download the Portal app from below link and visit portal.pushbullet.com on your Mac.
Scan the QR code from your Android Portal apps and you’re done. Unfortunately, Portal only allows one-way file transfers, i.e. from Mac to Android. If you want to explore more flexible options, you can try apps like Airdroid, AirMore etc… Just download them from below link and follow the on screen instructions to move files from Android with wireless Mac.