Honor 10 is a Huawei product or, more precisely, a cheaper version of the Huawei P20 and P20 Pro. Honor 10 has the same Kirin 970 processor as Huawei Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro and the new P20 and P20 Pro. As such, the spec sheet for the device is quite impressive as it is and performance is not an issue. However, Huawei uses a heavily modified EMUI skin on Android. This usually means that performance can be improved by having a Custom ROMs. There may be other reasons to root Honor 10 and install TWRP. Whatever your reason, here’s how you can do it.
Root Honor 10 your warranty will void your warranty. Besides, installing a custom recovery and using it to install third-party mods can be risky. You may end up damaging your device. Even if you follow all the steps mentioned below correctly, there may still be an unfortunate problem with your device. Make sure you know what you are doing and do everything at your own risk.
- To install a custom recovery, you will need to unlock the bootloader. If you haven’t unlocked the bootloader on Honor 10, you can follow the applicable guide to unlock the bootloader on any Huawei/Honor device.
- You will also need to install HiSuite from Huawei. This ensures that the latest device drivers are installed on your PC.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your Android device. To do this, go to Setting yours -> Introduce -> Information software -> More . Now type in Build Number 7-8 Times until you see a congratulatory message “Developer enabled enabled”. Come back Setting -> Option Developers and turn on OEM Unlock and USB Debugging Debugging.
Unofficial TWRP download linked above in Download. Rename the file to recovery.img and put it in your adb folder. Alternatively, download the Magisk zip and transfer it to your Honor 10’s internal storage.
How to install TWRP
- Reboot your Honor 10 in fastboot mode. To do this, first turn off the device. After power off, press and hold the . button Turn down the volume and connect the device to the PC using the USB cable while holding the . button Sound reduction quantity. Release the button when fastboot mode pops up on the screen.
- Open a command prompt window inside your ADB folder. To do this, press and hold the Shift key and right-click an empty space inside the adb folder. From the context menu, select Open command window here. Alternatively, you can enter cmd in the address bar when you are in the adb folder and press Enter to get the same result.
- You can check if your device is properly connected to your PC in fastboot mode by entering this command in the command prompt window.
It will return the serial number of your device.
- When you are ready to flash TWRP recovery, enter the following command.
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recovery.img
Here, recovery.img is the name of the downloaded TWRP file. In case you do not change the name, you will have to enter the original name of the file. Eg,
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp_bkl_0.7.img
- When the installation is complete, reboot the device with the following command then immediately unplug the USB cable and press and keep holding the button Amplifier quantity. This will start your device in recovery mode. This is an important step because if you don’t boot your device right away during TWRP restore, it will be overwritten with stock restore and you will have to repeat the steps above.
Root Honor 10
- While you are in TWRP, you may be asked to enter a PIN or password to decrypt the device. On the home screen, select Setting and then navigate to and select the downloaded Magisk zip.
- Swipe at the bottom to install the zip file.
- Once done, you will see a button Reboot the system at the bottom. Tap on it and when your device reboots it will be rooted.