Error “Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error” can occur when a user renames, deletes, or unzips folders in File Explorer, preventing the user from performing these operations. The message of error 0x80004005 is usually “An unexpected error is keeping you from renaming (or copying or deleting) the folder.“
In this article, ThuthuatIT will guide you to fix error 0x80004005 simply and quickly.
Open File and Folder Troubleshooter to fix error 0x80004005
When encountering error 0x80004005, we can use Microsoft’s File and Folder Troubleshoot tool to fix it. Besides, this tool is also specialized for fixing system errors related to copying, deleting, and editing folders and files.
Follow the steps below to open and fix error 0x80004005 with File and Folder Troubleshoot:
1. First, go to the Microsoft homepage to download the Troubleshoot tool.
2. Open the tool, the screen will display the following window:
3. Select option Advanced in the back, then select Apply repairs automatically.
4. Next, click the . button next.
5. Select one of the options displayed on the screen and then press next.
Finally, the tool will automatically find and fix the cause of the 0x80004005 error.
Launch System File Checker Scan
Another possible cause of the “Error 0x80004005” error is a corrupted system file. Then, we can use System File Checker Scan – a specialized tool to fix corrupted system files:
1. Open Command Prompt with admin rights by pressing the combination Win + XD then choose Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Next, enter
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth to launch the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool in Windows.
3. Run SFC scan by typing
sfc /scannow then press Enter.
4. The scanning process will take about 20-30 minutes. Once done, restart the computer and check if the error has been fixed.
Control folder ownership
Sometimes error 0x80004005 can occur due to issues related to file and folder ownership and access. Then we need to control the folder ownership to have full access to the files.
This operation can be done through the window Properties of the file or with the TakeOwnershipEx program. Follow these steps to use TakeOwnershipex:
1. Download the program TakeOwnershipex
2. Extract the downloaded file and run the installer.
3. Open the TakeOwnershipEx program, then click the . button Take Ownership.
4. Select the file that is corrupted Unspecified error then press the button OK.
Clean boot Windows
Another way to fix error 0x80004005 is to make sure the software is not conflicted (especially antivirus software), the effective method is to clean boot Windows.
The clean boot will remove the programs that start with the system, and run Windows with the minimum number of drivers. Steps to clean boot Windows:
1. Open dialog Run by key combination Windows + CHEAP.
2. Enter msconfig into the dialog box and then press OK to open the System Information window.
3. Select option Selective Startup in tab General.
4. Next, uncheck the box Load startup items.
5. Check the boxes Load system services and Use original boot configuration.
6. Select tab Services.
7. Click Hide all Microsoft services. Then choose Disable all.
8. Select Apply > OK to confirm the changes and then select Restart to restart the machine.
9. Finally, delete, rename or extract the necessary files and folders after clean booting Windows. You can then restore Windows to the standard boot configuration via System Configuration.
Edit the title of the folder with Command Prompt
If you get error 0x80004005 while deleting or editing file and folder names, try changing the folder’s title through Command Prompt. Besides, we can also delete the folder after renaming with the command
REN in command prompt.
see more 10 ways to open command prompt on Windows
Follow these steps to change the folder title in Command Prompt:
1. Enter Command Prompt into Cortana or the Start menu.
2. Press combination Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open Command Prompt with admin rights.
3. Go to the path of the folder with the command
cd in Command Prompt.
dir /x and then press Enter to convert the folder and file title to 8.3 filename format.
5. Next, enter
Ren 8.3folder title new folder into the Command Prompt. In it, instead title and new folder with the new folder title and name you want to set.
6. Finally, open File Explorer and delete the folder.
Decompress compressed files with archiving software
This is a specialized way to fix error 0x80004005 during decompression of files like ZIP. Many users also report that they often get error 0x80004005 while extracting or copying files from an archive, especially when the archive is password protected. At that time, Windows cannot recognize the encrypted archive.
To fix this problem, try extracting the file with a third-party software like 7-Zip.
1. Download 7-Zip from the homepage.
2. Then open the installer and install the program.
3. Now just click on the file you want to extract in 7-Zip and then press the . button Extract.
4. Next, choose the path to save the extracted files by clicking the . button …
5. Enter the password of the zip file and then click OK let the program automatically decompress.
If after doing the above, the error 0x80004005 still persists, try using a different user account as the account’s access permissions settings may result in the 0x80004005 error.
ThuthuatIT has just shared effective ways to fix error 0x80004005, hope this article gives you a lot of useful knowledge and helps you fix it quickly, good luck!