The “100 disk Win 10” error causes Windows 10 users to often encounter problems such as slow, frozen, or hung computers.
To see if you are getting the 100 disk error, open Task Manager to check. Task Manager gives you a lot of information about the processes running on the machine.
Among the information you can see in Task manager is disk usage. If you see 100% on the Disk tab, it means you are having a 100% disk error. This error will reduce system performance, can cause overheating and reduce battery life. So in order for the computer to work smoothly again, you need to fix the disk error 100%. But how?
The following article will provide you with detailed ways to fix 100% disk error in Windows 10.
Restart the computer to fix 100% disk error Win 10
Starting the machine will help you solve errors and 100% disk errors Win 10 is no exception. Although restarting the computer does not help find the underlying reason for the error, if the error goes away it is acceptable.
Please choose “Restart” to reboot the system to a new state instead of selecting “Shutdown” it will keep the old state and may not solve the 100% disk error.
Installing the latest updates can often solve problems with Windows 10 systems. Check if you are up to date by going to the “”Update and security” in Windows Settings.
Check and update to the latest versions, follow these steps:
Settings > Update & Security settings > Windows Update
It can help improve the overall performance of the system, including the hard drive.
Check for malware
Your computer may be infected with malware that causes disk usage to spike. If you have anti-virus software running in the background, it may have detected the problem. However, you should use anti-virus software to manually scan the hard drive to check because it may not be detected by the software. It will take some time because the disk is already in high usage. This is necessary to find and remove malware.
Turn off Windows search
A bug in Windows 8 and 10 that causes a seek loop can be the cause of the 100% disk error. To temporarily disable Windows search, open admin prompt and enter the command:
net.exe stop superfetch
This command will disable Windows search until the next Windows reboot.
If Windows Search is indeed the cause of the 100% disk error, you can disable it permanently by following these steps:
- Press combination Windows + CHEAP, type services.msc and press Enter.
- The window containing the list of Windows services will appear. Find Windows Search then double click on it to edit.
- Change into Disabled in the edge frame Startup type and click OK to save changes.
Stop Superfetch Service program
Another Windows 10 feature that can cause 100% disk errors is Windows Superfetch. You can temporarily stop this program in a similar way to turning off Windows Search with the command:
net.exe stop superfetch
To disable it permanently, follow the same steps as “turn off Windows search”.
Change Energy Options from Balanced to High Performance
Some users report that it is effective to change Energy Options from Balanced to High Performance:
The steps to do this are as follows:
- Arrive Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings.
- Choose High-performance from the drop-down list and make sure the settings are correct by default.
Reset virtual memory to fix 100% disk error Win 10
Virtual memory is used when real RAM is not enough to work, files will be temporarily stored in virtual memory and converted back to real RAM when needed. Error in pagefile.sys can cause 100 disk error in Windows 10.
To fix the error you need to reset the virtual memory. Follow these steps to reset virtual memory:
1. In the “System Properties” of the computer. Please click “Advanced system settings“.
2. Click “Settings” in the Performance section.
3. Select the tab “Advanced“then click the button”Change“.
4. Select the box “Automatically manage paging file size“.
5. You can choose “No paging files“, Press OK And after that reboot. These steps will limit virtual memory usage and improve system performance.
Change settings in Google Chrome and Skype
Changing settings in Google Chrome and Skype can help resolve the error.
For Chrome, do the following:
- Go to Settings -> Show advanced settings.
- Under the Privacy section, uncheck “Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly“.
- You can also disabling Flash in Google Chrome.
To change Skype settings, follow these steps:
- To open Skype in Windows 10, from Start look in the app list Skype for Windows 10 and open it.
- Choose Security tab and click Edit.
- In the list “Groups or Usernames” choose “ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES“. Tick option number 4. Write option choose Allow (allow Skype to write to disk).
- Press OK.
If the above methods do not fix the Windows 10 100 disk error, you may have to replace the hard drive. Finally, try disabling any automatic defragmentation processes that are running as they may be the cause.
And those are effective ways to fix 100 disk errors in Windows 10, hope this article gives you a lot of useful knowledge, good luck!