With a smartphone share of 86% worldwide, Android is definitely the first choice of many smartphone users today. No wonder Android lovers have been trying to find a way to install Android apps on computers. Because of that, we will guide you on how to do that install android app above MacOS. If you want, that is. In case you are a developer who does not own Android device or just a crazy geek like me.
There are two ways to do this. Android Settings as on your machine in VirtualBox. This means that you get a completely touch screen mobile Android. The other way involves installing an Android emulator, depending on the emulator there may be a modified version of Android to work better with keyboard and mouse. We will cover the standard Android x86 version here. This is the best way to run Android apps on your Mac in my opinion.
- First of all, you need to download it from Oracle. Here is the most current version – Virtual Box 5.1.18 for OS X .
- Then you’ll need to download the Android x86 version of Android for free. This version of Android has been reworked with some issues to run on computers using Intel (but not Google’s) processors. This is the latest version based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow – android-x86-6.0-r1.iso – up to now.
The download may take some time depending on your Internet connection as these are large files.
Install Virtual Box on Mac OS
- Run pack
- Once installed, launch Virtual Box.
- Click the button new in the top left corner of the window. Enter a name for your Virtual Machine. You can name it however you like. But you name it so that when it shows on the screen it is appropriate and meaningful. Eg:
- For Type, choose Linux from the drop-down menu, and select Version, choose Other Linux (64-bit). In case you are running a version older than Android 5.0 Lollipop, for whatever reason, choose Ohter Linux (32-bit).
- Click tiếp tục.
- Next you leave the default: Memory Size, Hard Disk, Hard Disk File Type and click Continue .
- This virtual machine will run as a standalone Android machine so it is better to allocate Memory accordingly. You will not be able to access your files inside this machine.
- Choose Fixed Size bottom on physical storage (hard drive). This ensures system resources won’t be wasted in real time determining how much memory to allocate. As a result, you may get a bit of a performance hit.
- Click Contineu. On the next screen (above), you can choose a location on your hard disk to store your virtual hard disk, which will be used as internal storage for your Android virtual machine. Change the size of the virtual disk if you want, but the default value is good enough.
- Click Create. Creating a virtual hard disk can take some time.
Install Android on Mac OS
- Now that your Android VM is set up, it’s time to install the operating system named after. Select your Android VM back in the main window and click Begin.
- Navigate to and select Android x86 iso that you downloaded earlier. Click Begin.
- The installer gives you a couple of options two of which are to run Android without installing or install Android. If you run Android without installation, it will be slower than necessary, and anything you change or download will be lost as soon as you quit.
- If you plan to use the operating system more than once, select Installation – Install Androd x86 to hard disk using the arrow keys on your keyboard and pressing Enter.
- On the next screen, select Create/Modify partitions and then select No.
- Then choose New -> Primary and press Enter to create a new primary partition.
- Mark can Bootable at the bottom left and press Enter. Check title Flags, which has the word Boot under it right now.
- Scroll down Write and press Enter again.
- Ignore the warnings about data loss, as you are not creating an actual partition here. Knock on Yes and press Enter. Then mark Quit and press Enter.
- Select the newly created partition on top and select OK.
- Choose ext4 below select File System and press Yes .
- When asked if you want to install the bootloader, select Yes and then skip to the next screen.
- Choose Yes when prompted to install /system directory as read/write. The final installation will begin now.
- When the installation is complete, you will be prompted to run Android. Press Enter to boot Android into its own window.
Install Android Apps on Mac OS
- From here, it’s basically just the Android you know and love, running on your Mac.
- Press keybox Cmd + F to display full screen. Sign in with your Google account and start installing apps from Google Playstore.
- You can use the trackpad or mouse to control Android just like you would on a touchscreen. To enter Input -> Mouse Integration and disable it.