Unlock bootloader is the first step towards customizing your Android phone. Once you unlock the bootloader you can set it up as you like as well as modify the system. This will allow you to flash a modified boot image as well as install a custom recovery like twrp or root the phone.
Unlocking the bootload is very necessary so that you can install a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM. While you are using HTC Butterfly 3 then you should proceed to unlock the bootloader to be able to install root and twrp as well as after doing that you can proceed with the installation Custom ROMs.
This guide has been tested on the HTC Butterfly 3 and other versions of Butterfly. Before you proceed, make sure you allow “allow oem unlock” in the developer options section. If you use other versions at your own risk and should wait for specific instructions.
You must S-OFF on the latest update to do things after installing TWRR on the boot partition, TWRP Recovery will not work as a normal recovery because you install it on the recovery partition. You can try the tools unlock bootloader other for HTC like Sunshine.
To check if you have S-OFF or not by booting HTC Butterfly 3 into download mode. But to get into that mode, you need to press and hold the Power button and the volume down button. Once you have entered Download Mode, you can see if the status is S-OFF.
Warning: Warranty will be void if you proceed unlock bootloader so you need to make your own decision.
Backup apps and data
This process will erase all your data, so you should make a backup and set up a factorey reset on your device. Backup all your apps, data, media and internal storage.
Instructions to unlock bootloader for HTC Butterfly 3
- You must have S-Off on your HTC device on it may not work.
- This guide is compatible with HTC Butterfly 3. Other devices cannot use this guide.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer. You can download the Android SDK from the full from now, or quick install ADB and Fastboot from now. For Mac or Linux OS, click here.
- Install the driver USB Driver for your computer.
- Unlock OEM in developer options and enable USB Debugging.
- If you can’t find Developer Options, then you will have to first activate it by going to Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number and tap 7 times until you see a small notification that you have activated it.
- Then come back Settings menu, you should find that development option. Open it and allow USB Debugging or see the article Instructions to enable USB debugging mode
- Now, go to Settings –> Developer Options -> Enable OEM Unlock.
Instructions to unlock bootloader
- Make sure you have ADB and fastboot set up on your PC. Also accept “Always allow from this computer” (Always allow from this computer) when you plug in the device for the first time to activate the feature USB Debugging.
- Power off the device and disconnect the USB.
- Boot into bootloader or fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold the volume down key and power button simultaneously for 5-6 seconds. When you see bootloader screen, connect your phone to the computer with a USB cable. (Choose fastboot if option available) You can also use the following codes, after connecting to PC to boot into bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now open a command prompt or a terminal window. Do this by holding Shift on your keyboard and right-clicking on an empty area and selecting “Open command window here” to launch a command prompt window.
- Now enter the following command to check if fastboot is working correctly and it will give you the serial number of your device.
- Now you need to enter the following command to perform the bootloader unlock on your device.
fastboot oem unlock
- At this point the bootloader will be unlocked and so you need to perform a device reboot with the following command.
You may see an unlock icon when you reboot. This means that your device has unlock bootloader success. If all else fails your device is still locked to bootloader.