After Motorola belonging to Lenovo, Motorola still proves itself as one of the leading smartphone manufacturers in the market today. That is why the company has launched a product line Moto Z and Moto Z Force. Both devices are equipped with configurations that are quite perfect for a smartphone.
However, Moto devices still allow us unlock bootloader like the device and here’s how to do it without losing the warranty.
Requirements before implementation
- You are using Moto Z and Moto Z Force.
- Make sure you install the full USB Driver.
- The phone has at least 80 to 85% battery left in order to avoid stretching and ruining everything.
- Make sure your computer has ADB and Fastboot.
- Setting ADB and Fastboot on your computer.
- Unlock OEM in developer options and enable USB Debugging.
- If you can’t find Developer Options, then you will have to first activate it by going to Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number and tap 7 times until you see a small notification that you have activated it.
- Then come back Settings menu, you should find that development option. Open it and allow USB Debugging or see the article Instructions to enable USB debugging mode
- Now, go to Settings –> Developer Options -> Enable OEM Unlock.
- Make sure you’ve backed up all your personal data and apps to make sure they don’t get lost.
- For Contacts, Calendar and Google Sync account usage details for backup
- For application and data application see post:
Warning: the steps taken are very risky so you need to be careful and above all, you are solely responsible for your device.
Unlock Bootloader on Moto Z and Moto Z Force
- Plug the USB cable into your phone and computer. Touch the USB icon in the notification panel and select MTP (file transfer) mode.
- Open a command prompt and type the following command
Note that you must receive the message “List of devices attached” with the same name as the device. This will confirm that ADB has recognized your device.
- Next enter this command in Command prompt
adb reboot bootloader
This will boot the Moto device into fastboot/bootloader mode
- Type the following command to get the key that you must use to unlock the bootloader
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- Copy that code by right-clicking at the top of the code in the command window and scrolling down to select the entire code. Once selected, just press Enter and it will copy to your clipboard.
- Next, go to Motorola’s site to unlock the bootloader and paste the code you copied in the previous step. Click the button “Can my device be unlocked?” and wait for confirmation.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and then click the button shown to request to unlock. Click “OK” on the pop-up window. Motorola will then send the unlock key in your email.
- Now that you have your unlock key, you can now unlock your bootloader with it. Just run the following command in Command Prompt
fastboot oem unlock ‘unlock key for entry’
- After running the command you will see on the screen Moto Z and Moto Z Force will display “Unlock“, and then the device will start up automatically.
That’s it, you have successfully unlocked the bootloader bootloader for Moto Z and Moto Z Force. Good luck