Many instant messaging platforms like WhatsApp and Signal have encrypted chat endings enabled by default. However, things work a little differently in Facebook Messenger. If you want to enable encryption in chats, you’ll have to start a secret chat in Messenger. This is similar to Telegram where encryption is not enabled by default. Along the same lines, Messenger lets you send messages that disappear in chats. But as is the case with encrypted chats, these messages cannot be sent in regular chats either. To try it, here’s what needs to be done. Also, don’t forget to ensure the privacy of your text messages with SMS Encryption.
Send disappearing messages in Facebook Messenger
You can send disappearing messages to any contact in Messenger, provided you’re using the Secret Chat feature. There are two ways to achieve that part. Both are discussed here. If you know the steps to do so, you can skip this step and move on to the next.
Step 1: Enable secret chats
- When you launch the Messenger app, tap the edit icon located at the top right.
- Next, enable the kill switch and select the user you want to have a secret chat with.
- Or you can go directly to the user’s profile, tap on the name and select Select Conversation.
- Now that you’re there, here’s how to send disappearing messages in Facebook Messenger.
See also: Install Dark theme for Facebook and Messenger apps on Android devices
Step 2: Verify encryption
Before you proceed with secret chats, it is important to verify the encryption. Facebook uses encrypted keys to encrypt and decrypt your messages. you can compare the keys on your own mobile device as well as that of the receiver. There are two ways to do so. You can compare your keys on both devices or the sender’s key. Take the first path.
- When you’re in a secret chat, tap the recipient’s name.
- Next, tap on Your Key. Similarly, at the receiver’s end, tell him to access Key
- Match both, and if they do, you should proceed with sending the disappearing message in Messenger.
See also: Customize notification sound in Facebook Messenger
Step 3: Send a self-destructing message
- Once you’ve started secret conversations, tap the stopwatch.
- Then select the time period after which the messages will disappear. It ranges from 5 seconds up to 24 hours.
- Now just enter the desired text and hit send. The message will then automatically disappear after the said period of time. And from your device it will be blacked out.
With that, we conclude this guide on how to send disappearing messages via Facebook Messenger. Let us know what you think of this tip, in the comments section. Furthermore, don’t forget to share this helpful tip with your friends for a safer chat experience.