Lenovo ZUK Z1 is a high-end phone from Lenovo that is equipped with many interesting features. Many Android users already have access to this device and have been able to customize with mods, recoveries, ROMs and more. Now you can install TWRP on your phone with a simple fastboot command. Here xaiandroid guides you to install the build TWRP 188.8.131.52 from Breadcrust with updated version 1.3.
Recovery has been confirmed to work for Exodus on Zuk Z1 running Android 5.1.1, CM Nightly 5.1.1 ROM, Cyanogen OS… Once you install the custom recovery, you can proceed to install SuperSU to gain root access on your device or even install custom rom to your liking. However, you will need to unlock the bootloader on your phone. To unlock the bootloader, you need to see the article: instructions to unlock the bootloader for Lenovo ZUK Z1 phones.
Note: If you own a Zui device, you can install the Shenqi USB drivers right on the phone’s partition without using the CD to install the driver for the USB connector. However, if you are running Cyanogen operating system and your phone does not connect to the computer and reports the status in the Device Manager of windows, you can use the Google USB Driver zip.
Alert: Your device’s warranty will void if you proceed with rooting. Xiandroid does not take any responsibility for your device. This is your own choice.
- Download | TWRP for Lenovo ZUK Z1 (File: tz1.twrp.184.108.40.206.By.Breadcrust-UPDATE3.img)
Backup apps and data
The steps below will wipe all data on your device, so you should make a backup before doing so. Once you have installed a custom recovery like TWRP then proceed to back up your system, data, etc. from the recovery. It will be very useful in some cases.
- This guide is only for Lenovo Zuk Z1. You don’t do it on any other device.
- Establish ADB and Fastboot on your computer. You can download Android SDK full word from now, or quick install ADB and Fastboot from now. For the machine Mac or Linux OS, click here.
- You need to proceed to unlock the bootloader for Lenovo ZUK Z1. If you do not know how to unlock, see the article: instructions to unlock the bootloader of Lenovo ZUK Z1 phones.
- Install the driver USB Driver for your computer.
- Unlock OEM in developer options and Enable USB Debugging.
- If you can’t find Developer Options, then you will have to first activate it by going to Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number and tap 7 times until you see a small notification that you have activated it.
- Then come back Settings menu, you should find that development option. Open it and allow USB Debugging or see the article Instructions to enable USB debugging mode
- Now, go to Settings –> Developer Options -> Enable OEM Unlock.
Instructions to install TWRP Recovery for Lenovo ZUK Z1
- First you need to copy the recovery file from the download to your computer and then proceed to extract the file if it is in zip format and put it in an easy-to-find location on your computer.
- Make sure you have ADB and fastboot set up on your PC. Also accept”Always allow from this computer“(Always allow from this computer) when you plug in the device for the first time to activate the feature USB Debugging.
- Now connect your phone to the computer and accept the RSA Authentication prompt. Now open a Command prompt (CMD) window or a terminal window. Do this by holding Shift on your keyboard and right-clicking on an empty area and selecting “Open command window here” to open the command window. Next, use the following command in the CMD window to verify the connection.
- Boot the phone into bootloader or fastboot mode. To do so, enter the following command while still connected to the computer.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, when the Zuk Z1 is not recognized as a fastboot device, you will have to specify the OEM id. You use the fastboot command and connect with the following code 0x2b4c to perform.
- You use the following command to unlock the bootloader
fastboot -i 0x2b4c oem get-device-info
- Now you are ready to install TWRP recovery. Run the following command to perform the installation. Note that when you unzip the file, you should change it to “twrp.img” and then enter the following command with the final code being the twrp recovery filename.
fastboot -i 0x2b4c flash recovery z1.twrp.220.127.116.11.By.Breadcrust-UPDATE3.img
- The custom recovery will be installed on your device. Now boot your phone in recovery mode. You can do this by turning off the phone again and then pressing and holding the volume down key and the power key at the same time.
- Once in recovery you can make backups of your data, current rom, EFS and more right on your device.
Once you’ve installed TWRP, you’re all set to install custom packages onto your device’s system. Also, while on Linux or Mac OS you use the command “./fastboot flash recovery (name of recovery file).img” to install the TWRP custom recovery file.