Now there is a TWRP version for phones HTC Butterfly 3 so you can do install SuperSU and other custom mods. For this, you first need to unlock the bootloader on your phone. We’ve got bootloader unlocking instructions ready for devices and so it shouldn’t be a problem. Now you can proceed to install twrp as well as perform rooting easily.
In this post xaiandroid install instructions TWRP version 184.108.40.206 for HTC Butterfly 3 using fastboot command. Once you have TWRP installed on your device, you can completely root to gain root access on the device. Also, when you have TWRP recovery you can back up nandroid backup, install a custom rom or install a new kernel for the device. Also note in Downlaod section, xaiandroid comes with a stock boot image that needs to be installed after you install SuperSU.
Warning: Rooting will void the warranty so you are solely responsible for your device.
- TWRP and boot image for HTC Butterfly 3 – Download | File: b3 recovery.zip
- SuperSU v2.46 – Download | File: UPDATE-SuperSU v2.46
Backup data and applications
While doing this may not erase your data but you should make a data backup before doing so. Once you have TWRP installed, you should proceed to back up your system, data, etc. from recovery.
- S-off and unlock bootloader needs to be done in order to be able install TWRP on HTC Butterfly 3 . device.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer. You can download the Android SDK from the full from now, or quick install ADB and Fastboot from now or from now. For Mac or Linux OS, click here.
- Install the driver USB Driver for your computer.
- Unlock OEM in developer options and enable USB Debugging.
- If you can’t find Developer Options, then you will have to first activate it by going to Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number and tap 7 times until you see a small notification that you have activated it.
- Then come back Settings menu, you should find that development option. Open it and allow USB Debugging or see the article Instructions to enable USB debugging mode
- Now, go to Settings –> Developer Options -> Enable OEM Unlock.
How to Root and Install TWRP for HTC Butterfly 3
- Before you proceed, make sure you have unlocked the bootloader on your HTC Butterfly 3.
- Download the TWRP recovery and SuperSU files from the “download” about your computer. You copy the SuperSU file to the phone memory.
- Make sure you have ADB and fastboot set up on your PC. Also accept “Always allow from this computer” (Always allow from this computer) when you plug in the device for the first time to activate the feature USB Debugging.
- Power off the device and disconnect the USB.
- Boot into bootloader or fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold the volume down key and power button simultaneously for 5-6 seconds. When you see bootloader screen, connect your phone to the computer with a USB cable. (Choose fastboot if option available) You can also use the following codes, after connecting to PC to boot into bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
- Navigate to the location where you have placed the recovered files. Extract the file to get a folder containing the TWRP image files and boot. While the folder containing the TWRP files and boot stock image is open, hold down the shift key on your computer keyboard and right-click on an empty area and select “Open command window here” to open the command window.
- Now type following at command prompt to check your device connection and it will give your device information. In case no information is displayed, you need to check the USB connection again.
- Now you use the following command to install TWRP recovery for HTC Butterfly 3.
fastboot flash boot b3twrp.img
- Now TWRP recovery will be installed on your device. Once the installation is complete boot your phone into TWRP recovery mode. To enter this mode you need to turn off the power and press and hold the volume down and power buttons or you can use the following command.
fastboot boot b3twrp.img
- After you have entered TWRP recovery, you can backup or backup your current nandroid ROM.
- Now return to the TWRP screen and tap Install and navigate to the SuperSU file in your device’s memory.
- Confirm the swipe at the bottom to install the SuperSU package.
- Now enter the following command to install the SuperSU package for your device.
fastboot flash boot stockboot.img
- After the installation is complete, reboot the system.
You should now have root access on your HTC Butterfly 3. If it doesn’t boot, you can restore using Stock ROM from backup.